Members of the European renewable ethanol association (ePURE) produced 5.2 billion litres of ethanol in 2016, meaning they operated at 82% of their installed capacity, new data shows.
Of the total production, 78% was for fuel use, while the remaining 22% were spread equally between the industrial and food and beverages markets.
The 39 companies that are part of ePURE also produced 5.5 million tonnes of co-products, including 4 million tonnes of high-protein animal feed. Almost all of the crops, 99.9%, used to make ethanol were grown in Europe.
In 2016, European renewable ethanol delivered average greenhouse gas emission savings of more than 66% compared to petrol.
Provided by Renewables Now exclusively for Essentica.
European ethanol group says members produced 5.2bn litres in 2016